I have noted people find it hard to answer straight forward questions and it is difficult to understand why. Today I asked the following straight forward question to different people I interacted with during lunch time:
Have you had lunch?
I got the following responses:
- Do you want to give me lunch?
- What do you mean?
- Where do you want to take me for lunch?
- What have you cooked?
- I think it is lunch time
- What do you think?
- I guess I need lunch
- I had a snack
- I only took breakfast
- I have not understood your question
- I am your guest
- I will see you serve the lunch
None of them answered the question I asked! Why?
What are the reasons for not giving a straight forward?
The reasons for not giving a straight forward answer could include any of the following;
- Not understood the question
- Not heard the question
- Not sure why they are being asked the question
- In case they have already eaten , they are hesitant to eat lunch twice
- They fear to talk
- They will answer after knowing the quality of food
- Sometimes they think it is un African to be asked the question
- Not comfortable giving an answer when other people are listening
- Lack of confidence
- They do not trust me in issues of lunch
Benefits of giving straight forward answer
Whenever you are asked a question you should give a straight forward answer to enable you to gain the trust of the other.
Author: John Muhaise-Bikalemesa,
Director Big Drum Advisory Services,
165 total views, 165 views today
The post Why do people find it difficult to answer questions? appeared first on Muhaise.com.